A quick post on some weird behaviour I came across in SCCM 2012 R2,
When configuring the Software Update point in a brand new SCCM 2012 R2 installation, I needed to select to synchronise the updates for Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 8.1 and Office 2013 that would be used in this envrionment. However, this is what the product selection screen looked like (Under Administration > Site Configurating > Sites > Right click on site > Configure Site Components > Software Update Point, Products tab)
Notice the problem? Windows 8.1 nor Server 2012 R2 are visible (nor Office 2013, not shown). I went ahead and selected 2012 and Windows 8 anyway.
I looked in WSUS itself and this actually shows the correct options:
Weird … however I resisted the temptation to select them here as I know from experience that you shouldn’t mess with WSUS directly as SCCM likes to control it. I went ahead and clicked the “Sychronize Software Updates” button in SCCM but received the following strange messages in the WCM.log file:
However, after letting the sync finish, as if by magic the products THEN became available:
The moral of the story is, let SCCM 2012 do a synchronisation BEFORE you try to select the products you wish to update!